Audiologists diagnose, treat, and evaluate a patient’s ear, balance, hearing, or brain problems. Most audiologists operate in health care centers, including mental health clinics, audiology practices, and hospitals. Some even work in schools, traveling between various facilities, or work within one’s own practice.


If you’re experiencing hearing loss, your first port of call should be an audiologist. A qualified audiologist can hear all kinds of sounds, including those that you can’t normally hear. If you have vertigo or other problems with your inner ear, your audiologist may be able to help you with that as well. The goal of an audiologist is to help ensure that you get the best care possible.

Once you’ve seen an audiologist, your primary physician should be aware of your situation. This is because an ENT (ear, nose, throat) specialist often works alongside an audiologist. If you are showing signs of any medical issues, your ENT will refer you to the audiologist for further testing. Sometimes, ENTs may refer patients to an audiologist when additional testing is needed to confirm the initial findings. Your medical professional may also decide that additional treatment is needed, depending on your particular condition.

Audiologists are specially trained to listen to the auditory systems of the inner ear. They typically have a background in medicine, but have a master’s degree in hearing science or audiology. Audiologists can diagnose hearing loss, balance disorders, wax build-up in the ears, and other conditions related to the ears and the brain. Audiologists can diagnose and treat all types of noise-related problems in the audible ranges. These include ringing, roaring, popping, squealing, hissing, clicking, whooshing, or buzzing sounds that interfere with your quality of life.

READ  Jobs As a Dental Assistant

Because an ENT doctor can hear all sorts of noises, he or she has the skills and training to help you with all of your symptoms. An audiologist has even more skill and training when it comes to treating and preventing hearing loss. Audiologists work closely with individuals, ENT doctors, audiologist technicians, along with other health professionals to come up with a comprehensive treatment plan. Audiologists often combine diagnostic tests with hearing aids, prescription treatment plans, as well as lifestyle changes. If you’re suffering from hearing loss or any other type of health problem, you should see an ENT doctor for a thorough exam.

Some audiologists are also trained to conduct intra-oral radiography, which involves using a tiny camera to view the electrical activity of the ear canal. Doctors can also take X-rays of the inner ear to look for damage, which can also reveal hearing loss. Other hearing instrument care professionals such as hearing aid technicians or headphone models can diagnose a variety of problems and provide preventive treatment.

A qualified audiologist is an excellent medical specialist who can treat many different kinds of related disorders. Audiologists not only specialize in hearing loss, but they also understand how to treat balance problems related to dizziness, balance problems caused by head trauma, or balance issues brought about by alcoholism. In addition, an audiologist can evaluate the effectiveness of corrective devices like chair and speech therapy. He or she will also evaluate your mental health, determining whether or not you need therapy to combat depression, anxiety, fear of certain situations, or to cope with everyday life. Your hearing specialist can help you determine what treatments you need.

READ  Careers In Medical Imaging

If you are experiencing difficulties hearing, you should have an audiologist check your ears. Your audiologist will do several procedures to try to determine the source of your hearing loss or balance issue. You may be referred to an ENT specialist for a more thorough exam. Even if you are not suffering from a life-threatening condition, you still should have your ears examined by an Audiologist. If you are experiencing other symptoms like pain or trouble focusing, you should make an appointment with an Audiologist as soon as possible.

By Colleen